[Savoynet] Winston Churchill and G&S

Mark Passerrello ancientartbonsai at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 10 17:43:34 EST 2010

As a bow tie wearer and keen Savoyard myself, I say yes.  I believe Richard D'Oyly Carte was a also a bow tie afficianado. When the Topsy Turvy flim came out I wrote to one of the better bow tie retailers here in the States, a company called Beau Ties, Ltd, to tell them that the bow ties worn my Carte in the film were really good looking and they should add some of the colors and patterns to their stock. I never heard from them.

As an aside, the actor Brendan Gleeson played Churchill in a recent film. In one scene he is sitting brooding while the grammophone plays what sounds like When a Wooer goes a Wooing.